Monday, September 14, 2015

Saga Vikings - Jarl Wulfric

Jarl Wulfric (and friends)

Finished up my Viking Warlord just in time for our annual Saga Storm event on Saturday (12th).  Busy week, so I haven't had the chance to post until today.  I plan to share some Saga Storm coverage later in the week.

I've always loved this particular Wargames Foundry model, and he certainly has the command pose down.  I've seen the fig used for a warlord a lot on the Internet, but not locally.  The standard bearer comes from one of the mounted packs, which is nice since I plan to convert a mounted version of Wulfric for the general of my eventual Viking Army for Hail Caesar.




Although this mini has a great command pose, a few vikings in the line still tower over him.  The rock I used was originally used ages ago when I first painted up Logan Grimnar for 40k.  Left in my bits box for some reason, but it worked great here.  I also sliced off a wolf skull from some Space Wolf bit, and together with a little green stuff made the helmet a bit more ornate.  With the figures sorted, the rest of the ensemble came to me by pure chance.

 Some WIP pics

The dog came in a bag of free "thank you" bits when I ordered some Dark Age buildings from Stronghold Terrain (more on that sometime later).  And just last week I stumbled on the little bird/raven and it fit on his shoulder perfectly.  I'm pretty sure it's a bit from the plastic Warhammer giant kit.


The banner was made with help from my friend Eric.  Back in 2001 when I first rolled with WF Vikings for Warhammer Ancient Battles, I bought a Norse wolf necklace.  I saw the same wolf symbol used in a commercial for one of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Stories books.  Eric was then able to work his magic.

Hopefully I'll get some Bondi painted up later in the week, but for now, here's a picture of my Saga Viking warband so far.

.

27 comments:

  1. Splendid, these figures are splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The warband looks great Jason. Thanks for the "Challenge" at Saga Storm- it was cool to see these new warriors and warlord in person. Now you just need to scour those viking halls for some slightly drunk Bondi to follow that banner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's bloody impressive work Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool figures and banner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Really great job on this one. Outstanding.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Extremely inspiring! I'd be running by now if I was an English monk - good thing I'm Scandinavian ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's certainly a fun way to express my Swedish heritage. :-)

      Delete
  7. Absolutely fantastic Jason! The dog and the raven really make this piece and the flag is just superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger! I thought it worked out nicely too without making my warlord into "Doctor Dolittle."

      Delete
  8. The raven/crow is a wonderful touch. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Please just take my Danegeld and depart in peace Sir!"

    Great job Jason - that is chock full of character

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just been back for another look, your attention to detail is superb. Also like the autumn/winter look you have given with the colour of flock on your ground and hills, along with those leaves on the bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks again for your very kind words!

      Delete
  11. Oh my that's wonderful, the basing is truly magnificent.

    ReplyDelete