Friday, December 7, 2012

Warhammer: Total War?


Perhaps to some, video games are the bane of miniature wargaming.  A new shiny release of Halo XXVII or something will no doubt ensure a hobby project is pushed back for another two weeks at least, and some online games go as far as swallowing the souls of the most promising mini painters whole never to touch paint or brush again.

I don't know if I'm lucky or not to no longer have roommates that make me spent countless hours playing EA Sports' NHL13, Madden whatever, or the latest and greatest first person shooter.  I don't own a Xbox or anything (not that I wouldn't mind having one), and I would be embarrassed to admit the date of the last game I bought for the 'ole computer.

Sir, which special unit comes with this box?

Despite this, one series of games I've always been a fan of is the Total War series from SEGA, buying some of the earlier titles and then living vicariously through my friend Chris as he explained how awesome the latest edition (like Napoleon: Total War) is.  The last Total War I bought was the Viking one, I think.  I'll probably break down at some point and buy the Napoleon edition off of eBay or something as it is probably my favorite historical period.  Plus the chance to see a little CGI Blucher charge across the screen is too much to pass up.  :-)

I guess the other version of Total War that would get me excited would be a Warhammer one (I know there's unofficial mods out there).  Although 8th Edition is not currently my favorite game to play and Games Workshop's prices have ensured I'll probably never collect a new army, I still love the Warhammer World and fluff.  The Empire, Kislev, and Vampire Counts armies I've collected are still full of great minis, and I would welcome a chance to command them across my computer screen.  Well, that all took one more step towards reality with this news from yesterday.


SEGA and Creative Assembly Announce Partnership with Games Workshop
to Create Warhammer Games

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON – 11AM GMT, December 6, 2012 – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Creative Assembly™, award-winning creator of the Total War™ series, and SEGA® Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop® to create videogames based in the Warhammer® universe of fantasy battles.

A new high-calibre development team has been set up at Creative Assembly’s UK studio to work alongside the existing Total War, Alien™ IP and Mobile teams on the first Warhammer title in the deal, scheduled to launch from beyond 2013.

“With this year being our 25th anniversary”, said Tim Heaton, Studio Director at Creative Assembly, “it seems fitting for us to embark on such a dream project with such a well-established partner. The incredibly rich and detailed Warhammer world is something we grew up with, and has left an indelible imprint on us as both designers and gamers.”

“We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.”

“We have enormous respect for SEGA and Creative Assembly and have felt for a long time that the combination of the enormously rich setting of the Warhammer world, and their stunning development talent is a match with huge potential,” said Jon Gillard, Games Workshop’s Head of Licensing. “Now that we’ve managed to bring these two giants of gaming together it is safe to say that some truly amazing products are going to be unleashed as a result. We are excited at the possibilities, and are enthusiastically working with the team at Creative Assembly already.”

This first Warhammer game joins the eagerly-awaited Total War™: Rome II and the untitled Alien IP as one of five projects currently in production at Creative Assembly, now one of the largest developers in Europe.



Mainly this is just a license to produce "Warhammer" games, so who knows what kind of games they will produce.  (The Warhammer 40k license is still held by THQ.)  Warhammer certainly has not had the same level of success as its brother game "40k" has in video game realm.  Maybe this is the step that changes all that.

Perhaps many of you like me are not the biggest video game fans, but I throw this up especially for my Warhammer buddies who are.  Anyone who knows more about this please share.  Also, if anyone else has played Napoleon: Total War, I love to hear more feedback on that game as well.
.

9 comments:

  1. Damn Call of Duty stops me painting, I just can't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have certainly enjoyed the Total war series over many years , and had a lot of fun with the fan made LOTR version for Medieval Total War2 - but as you put it, I tend to 'enjoy' computer gaming vicariously through my young son Chris (9yrs) ...
    I have got them them all up to Napoleon. Cant recall if we got Shogun 2?? I'll have to check the study bookshelf... Rome2 certainly beckons to start the cycle again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never played any of the Total War games but I love video games. I say bring on some sweet Warhammer for the big screen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Having losing several hours of my painting time with the Total War Series, I can only admit I would be curious to play a title set in the world of Warhammer. For the time being, I would rather recommand you to try out Empire Total War than its cadet Napoleon Total War, as some of the campaign mechanics of the latter, which seemed good idea at first sight, really tend to slow down the pace of a campaign. Also, the numbers of nations and geographic settings pictured in the first makes it a more colorful experience. I had a blast conquering russia and India with the Ottoman Empire, something you just can't do in Napoleon TW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I've played the Total War series ever since the original, Shogun Total War. My kids loved to watch me play, especially the assassination vignettes. -5 parenting points for that.

    I have to stay away from PC gaming because its digital crack for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny thing is that we once made a warhammer-mod for medievalTotalWar 1. And yes they're hiring people with certain profiles, so we should expect exactly that. Warhammer TW.

    I might need to reactivate my old Gamespy account after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The model with a PC made me spill my beer. That is so absurd I want to copy it but almost feel bad about stealing such a clever unique idea.

    You do owe me a beer, so I will get over my guilt. I made it my new wall paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! OK, the next ones on me then! :-) I actually found that pic during a Google image search at the following site:

      http://www.hamburger-tactica.de/tactica/img/fotos_2012/Leipzig/gallery.html

      Good stuff!

      Delete