Monday, December 10, 2012

Cold Snow & Hot Cav!

The view out my back window this morning.

Reading Stefan's post over at Monty's Caravan this morning inspired me to document the over 16 inches (40.64 cm) of snow we received over the weekend.  A lite dusting of 1-2 inches Friday night followed by an all day affair Sunday left the once brown landscape totally covered with white.  I love the look of sparkling unbroken drifts of snow...  which reminds me that I still have to set the bear traps to keep the neighborhood kids from tramping up my lovely view!

Typical morning in Minnesota...  perpetuating the myth.

After excavating the truck three times yesterday, it was nice to see that it was still visible this morning.  The truck bed was completely full though, and it always feels weird to shovel that out.  Luckily I don't really have anywhere to go today other than a quick jaunt to the Post Office.  Now that I've chilled things off a bit, especially my readers from more fairer climates, it's time to heat things up a bit...

Sorry Turks...  Winged Hussars FTW!!

I make no secret of my love for cavalry on this blog, and Polish Winged Hussars are by far one of my favorites from history.  That being said, Anne from Anne's Attic was kind enough to pass along the following inspirational video to me today (Thanks again!).  Like my previous goosebump inducing piece of cinema  Cavalry Charges - Nerdgasm!!!! these type of vids make me want to start rolling the dice, crack out the paints, or just run around the front room with a broom between my legs (No hobby horse, sorry.  :-/ )

Enjoy!



"But sir, they've got frickin wings!!"

This also reminds me that Warlord Games recently added Polish Winged Hussars to their Pike & Shotte range (More preview pics here).  I'd love to hear any feedback if anyone has already picked up this boxed set.


.

19 comments:

  1. Now that is impressive snow, unlike the smattering we got the other day that still managed to bring some of the trains to a stand still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I couldn't help teasing Stefan a bit on his blog. :-)

      Delete
  2. Now that is a fantastic amount of snow!
    I have a print of that hussar picture in my games room ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have 4 Keith Rocco prints (2 Nap, 2 ACW), but that one is definitely on my "Want List." :-)

      Delete
  3. Now that's what I call snow, as Michael said, over here in the UK we get a little dusting and the country falls to pieces!
    Polish Winged Hussars! Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those new Polish Winged Hussars are truly marvelous. Very tempting - but have to refrain as I have a few other unfinished projects to get around to before starting a whole new period. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know if I'll ever play Pike & Shotte, but I'd like to paint up a unit of those bad boys all the same. :-)

      Delete
  5. Great post, looks like you guys are in for a picture-postcard White Christmas! We'll be breaking out the BBQ! I still haven't got used to that after leaving the UK... ;-)

    Ah yes the thunder of horses hooves always puts a tingle up my spine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't get snow here in Oz unless you go looking for it high up on mountains!

    Christmas to me means heat waves, BBQs, time at the beach and lots of swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jason,

    yes... That's snow!

    It's embarassing that most of my fellow countrymen get nervous for those scattered snowflakes...
    :-(

    Anyway the Polish Hussars look very promising. I hope to see some pictures of the painted one soon.

    Cheers
    Monty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sadly that snow is only the beginning (more fell last night) as Winter has not even officially started. Even around here I don't trust the local drivers in bad weather, but it's never as crazy as when it would snow in Texas while I stationed there in the Army. :-)

      Delete
  8. Winter is coming! Yeah it's here dude. No WINTEEEEERRRRRR is coming, hey shut up and go feed the damn crows you idiot! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally going to do a "Winter is Coming" GoT type post, but then 16" of snow dumped on us... too late!

      Delete
  9. Stilgar, do we have wormsign? No lots of SNOW! And look out for those winged lancers!

    ReplyDelete