Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year & Looking Ahead

Hoping the new year goes a little bit better than this...

First off, I want to wish everyone a very Happy New Year and all the best for you and your families in 2012!

I'm not a big New Years guy.  To me it's just another day except for the NHL Winter Classic.  Resolutions can be made any day of the year, blah, blah, blah.  Anyway, on with looking ahead to the rest of 2012...  Life has been bumpy lately in terms of both time and money, so hopefully the new year sees some of my projects get back on track and the ability to afford to start a few new ones.

First off is getting back to my Imperial Guard Mordians.  With a little more consistent effort, these guys should progress fairly quickly especially with all the vehicles.  I have mixed feelings about the 6th Edition of Warhammer 40k coming out later this year.  I like 5th Edition and the way the Imperial Guard plays right now (at least my list), so I'm apprehensive.  Then again, things could always improve...

A new army book for my Warhammer Vampire Counts army is coming out this month and one is rumored for the Empire in the Spring.  Although I love the minis, my enthusiasm for Warhammer 8th Edition is at a low ebb right now, and I'd rather start a new historical project or two than work on my Warhammer armies.  Still, you never know when inspiration strikes, so we'll see if the army books breathe new life into my Vampire Counts, Empire, or even Kislev armies.

Another project that needs to be finished up is my Dwarven Army of Erebor for War of the Ring.  I have some human allies from the Kingdom of Dale in the works, along with evil armies of Easterlings and Mordor.  These other projects can wait a bit though, and who knows what Games Workshop has in store for the LOTR line later in the year as The Hobbit movie gets closer.  Still, I think a few games of the LOTR skirmish level game needs to be played fairly soon.

A more immediate project I'd like to address is working on my War Room.  As I mentioned in the related post, my goal is to get a game table set up again here at home, so that might include some small terrain projects.  Regardless, I'm looking forward to rearranging things a bit, and get a new painting area set up.

What I'm really itching to do is get back into historicals and this time with 28mm instead of 15's or any smaller scales.  The miniature ranges that have been coming out in recent years from Perry Miniatures, Victrix, Warlord Games, Calpe Miniatures, along with old stand by's like Wargames Foundry and Front Rank have been pretty amazing.  Along with this recent high production rule sets like Black Powder and its supplements, Lasalle, and Maurice due out later this year are very encouraging.

The main question is whether to start with the Seven Year's War or a Napoleonic era army.  For SYW, I'm prepared to work on all the armies myself starting with the Prussians and Russians from Wargames Foundry and then adding the Austrians from Crusader Miniatures (Plus some help from Front Rank for all of these).  The metal miniatures will be more expensive to be sure, but I hope to start off with two smaller forces to get playing and grow from there.

With Napoleonics, I would hope for at least one other local partner in crime if not two or three.  This will be a problem as the local gamers I know and enjoy playing with are firmly entrenched in GW games.  Although I wouldn't mind starting a Prussian or French brigade or two, I'm definitely interested in seeing new plastics for Austrians and Russians.

Although the new Maurice rules and Imagi-Nations might open some possibilities for SYW stuff, I see this as a finite project.  I really like the style of the Wargames Foundry range, since I see my SYW armies as more collections of "Toy Soldiers" than the more gritty realistic feel I hope to go for with Napoleonics.  So maybe it's best to start there, as opposed to a more open ended project like Napoleonics.

There are a few other dark horses out there such as Franco-Prussian War, English Civil War, or even some Victorian era skirmish stuff, but right now there are no immediate plans just ideas bouncing around in my head.  I think a good place to start is by painting my collection of foot and mounted Cossacks from Wargames Foundry.  Not only can these figs be used for Eastern Renaissance, SYW, Napoleonics, or even Kislev handgunners, but they're also perfect for skirmish games and (Black Sea) pirates for some Legends of the High Seas action.

Too many words and not enough pictures I know...  If you read this far, then God bless and good luck with all your endeavors in the new year!

Cheers,
Jason
.

14 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!!!
    Hope that 2012 will not be the End of the Miniatures World!!
    (for the rest of the world, well..... )
    Sam
    http://samsminisworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes to you too, Jason.

    I think the recent Christmas & New Years has really been toned down from past years. Which for me is good - over blowing these days were getting a bit tiresome. Best wishes on all of your 2012 project; hope you get some Napoleonic gamers too! Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year and good luck with planned projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! And I thought I was struggling with the diversity of projects. Curious to see the possible inclusion of a Victorian era project lurking in the wings. Like you I'm curious as to what the Hobbit will bring to the table, Ogres and dwarves obviously but I do have a soft spot for the range. Have a great New Year and I'm looking forward to more great posts. All the best, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great projects and ideas for 2012 - looking forward to seeing them develop!

    If you want to go for 28mm and have an interest in Napoleonics, take a look at Sharpe's Practice by the Too Fat Lardies. Skirmish level so very affordable especially with the lovely range of plastic minis now. There are also expansions for ACW, US/Mexican War, and AWI. Take a look anyway!

    cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys!

    @Michael It's funny you said that because your post the other day and projects over that past year got me thinking of doing a few small projects to get my "fix" for certain periods instead of jumping into building an army at this time. So maybe I'll do a command stand, a unit, or just a few figs for some other stuff while working on a "main" project (Probably SYW I think).

    @Paul Thanks! I saw it on someone's blog (I think it was Dean's) were they suggested getting playing right away when working on a big project. Like Dean has done with his Nappys he's working on for Black Powder, he also has stuff individually based so he can get playing with Sharpe's Practice, Brother Against Brother, or whatever at the skirmish level.

    That's kind of what I'm thinking with working on the Cossacks first. Just have to work out how I'm going to base them individually and then in units...

    Cheers,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some nice ideas, your really spoilt for choice with the figures manufactures you said, they're all great figures. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best for 2012 Der Feldmarschall!!!

    Look forward to your future project, they all sound good.

    Looking forward Perry miniatures releasing 1812 Russians myself (will stick to my 15mm Naps till then).

    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming games in 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been playing with magnetic bases with my Vikings, which allows individual skirmish gaming, them a magnetic tray or similar for massed games. Not ideal, but very versatile and maximises the uses of figs you have slaved away on.

    There are some Youtube videos of Sharpe's Practice games in action - check them out to see if you like the ideas

    ReplyDelete
  11. You might also want to take a look at this:
    http://smooth-and-rifled.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot for the link Paul, that site looks great! I'm definitely going to do my due diligence checking out a number of skirmish level rules, but right now I'm really hoping to do something rules-wise along the lines of last years Halloween game.

    http://derfeldmarschall.blogspot.com/2011/12/encounter-at-grimminhagen-graveyard.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Using something based on Lord of the Rings SBG/Legends of the High Seas/Legends of the Old West has as much to do with getting certain local gamers interested in playing these games with me as having having a solid basic rules set (which they are) to play.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely - better to play a set of OK rules with friends, than have rules you love but nobody interested...

    BTW we used 3 different sets of rules for our Viking games before we settled.

    ReplyDelete