Thursday, September 15, 2011

Star Wars Blu-Ray: Now with more tweaking!

"Noooooooooo!!!!"

Note:  Before I jump into the meat of this post, let me first say that when I decided to start this blog, I promised myself that this was intended purely to add enjoyment to the hobby, and never act as a platform for ranting on this and that.  There's certainly enough "commentary" on the Interwebs on rules, prices, minis, and various gaming companies without anyone adding to it.  That said, I'll try not to make this sound like another "George Lucas rapped my childhood!" type blog post.  :-)


Due to very effective marketing, unless you live under a rock you'll be aware that the six Star Wars movies are about to be released on Blu-Ray on the 16th.  What you might not know, but perhaps had a few cynical thoughts about, is that George Lucas has once again taken this opportunity to change and tweak the Star Wars movies.

At this point we shouldn't be surprised as each previous release has had various alterations (and altercations with fans).  There's now so many that there's even a Wikipedia page that tracks them all.  If the customer reviews at Amazon.com are any indication, fans don't seem too happy with the latest batch of additional tweaks.
 

Here's a list of the changes that I've seen so far:

Episode I:
-  Original Yoda being replaced by a CGI version to match Episode II and III.

Episode IV:
-  Bigger rocks for R2-D2 to hide behind in "A New Hope" before he gets captured by Jawas.
-  Audio changed on Krayt Dragon call used by Ben Kenobi to scare off Sand People.

Episode VI:
-  Door to Jabba's Palace made to look more massive.
-  One of Sebulba's (from Ep. I) "Dug" race is added to the various aliens inside Jabba's Palace.
-  Digital effects now allow those wide eyed Ewoks to blink.
-  More TIE fighters are added to the final battle.
-  Vader now screams "Noooo!" as he picks up the Emperor and hurls him to his death.

The last one especially boggles my mind.  There was SO MUCH backlash over Vader's Frankenstein "Nooooo!" scene from Episode III, that I can not believe Lucas actually did this.  Either this guy  is so out of touch or more likely he does not care.  Totally convinced that "his" version/vision is the best no matter what the fans think.  Pretty sad.

Like many movie fans, the words "Director's Cut" used to get me excited, but now the "Original theatrical version" definitely has a special place in my heart.  If the above info was not enough for you, then ponder this...  in February Lucas starts the 3-D makeovers of the Star Wars films.

"Nooooo!"  indeed.

Bonus videos!!!!


Lame.


Unnecessary.


The worst.

3 comments: