Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lord of the Rings Demo Board


While doing some cleaning on my hard drive, I came across this Lord of the Rings demo board I did up a number of years ago.  Sometime after Return of the King came out on the silver screen, Games Workshop sent out these plastic demonstration boards to shops in support of their Strategy Battle skirmish game.  The board was very basic, being light gray plastic with static grass already attached.


My friend Eric, who worked part time at Phoenix Games in Minneapolis, decided to spruce up the board by actually painting it and adding some trees and water effects.  When the shop managed to acquire a second board so I decided to give it a go myself and get a little more creative.


I was eager to try a few things after having a conversation at GW's Games Day in Chicago with Dave Taylor about using EnviroTex Lite for making water effects.  This stuff really works great and hardens better than most water effects products that can still be soft enough to leave fingerprints, etc. after they're dry


Although I don't remember all of them now, I originally designed the board so that it could be used for at least 5 to 6 different scenarios including Bucklebury Ferry and Fog on the Barrow Downs.  It turned out to be pretty sweet for Dark Age skirmishes as well. :)


The shop ended up moving out to the suburbs, so I don't know what became of the board.  I can no longer use it myself, but I figured I could at least share it on my blog for others to hopefully enjoy.


Unfortunately this is the only pic I have of Eric's board to compare mine with.  (Please send me one if you have a better pic, thanks!)  Although he doesn't agree, I actually think his board is better as sometimes less is more.

5 comments:

  1. Really good work Jason. Love the path and dock.

    I believe the Phoenix Games owner still has this at his house. I really loved that board and now seeing pictures makes me want to try and get it back to our shop and in your hands- time to think of a plan...

    I'll try and get some new pictures taken of my board. Also Super Sweet Steve is up for getting in some LotR Battle Strategery...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Herr Feldmarschall! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome terrain board! I really like the water effects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Great looking boards.

    ReplyDelete